04 Sep Software Engineer (Java)
The Software Engineer’s main focus will be on the design, development and testing of custom defence software components.
- Participate in the development of software components and associated defence software simulators and human machine interfaces.
- Participate in the specification of software components.
- Produce all artefacts required for deliverables and internal reviews.
- Participate in reviews of software and documentation as required.
- Provide technical guidance to junior software engineers.
- Identify and prioritise tasks in consultation with the Team Leader.
- Plan, prioritise and deliver assigned tasks within the agreed scope, and schedule.
- Track and report progress on assigned tasks and notify any potential schedule or technical issues to the Team Leader.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and if the opportunity arises external stakeholders.
Given the nature of the work, we require Australian citizenship and at minimum a Baseline security clearance.
Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of contemporary software development standards, principles and best practices.
- Experience in:
- Writing software requirements for software components within software intensive systems.
- Developing in both procedural and Object Orientated paradigms.
- Designing, developing and testing software components within software intensive systems.
- Defect resolution of legacy software components within software intensive systems.
- Working within a team environment.
- At least one of the following languages, Java and/or Ada
- Well-developed communication skills (both written and oral).
- Well-developed ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Well-developed problem solving skills and the ability to develop creative and innovative solutions.
- Broad understanding of technology and technology trends.
- A genuine interest and appreciation of large commercial and defence software intensive systems.
- Experience in:
- Any of the following tools/technologies, Dockers, Jenkins, DDS, Git, Clearcase and Automated Test Frameworks.
- Developing human machine interfaces.
- The products, development environment and tools used to develop and support software.
Educational Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Tertiary qualifications in software engineering, computer science, or related technical discipline.
- Customer focused.
- Ability to adapt to new tasks, technologies, processes and procedures.
- A willingness to undertake continual learning and development in conjunction with the company performance development process.